Posted on 1 July 2011
The project has two principal objectives: (i) to stimulate local innovation on sanitation for the urban poor through research, and (ii) to strengthen the sanitation sector in developing countries through education and training. The project is in collaboration with the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT - Thailand), Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG - Brazil), Institut Teknologi Bandung (ITB - Indonesia) and International Institute of Water and Environmental Engineering (2iE - BF).
Expected outputs of the project are: 20 competent researchers and 20 PhD degrees, up to sixty educated professionals and 60 MSc degrees, up to 60 MSc theses, at least 80 papers, up to 10 experimental lab and/or pilot set ups in place, up to 7 upgrades of partners organisations' labs, up to 4 patent prospects, establishment of the the Best Prop-poor Saniation MSc thesis award, developnment of 2 new online courses, 3 new book titles published, establishment of the new online professional diploma.
- Research capacity and facilities of institutions enhanced
- International academic network on pro-poor sanitation
- Practical application of innovation on sanitation
- Proposal for the business spin offs developed
- Human resources capacity increased in the sanitation sector