Posted on 1 May 2011
Large scale collection, processing, valorization and commercialization of (human) waste, providing a solution to sanitation problems in Kisumu’s slums while making a profitable business case. The project is in collaboration with KIWASCO.
The project aims to develop a self-financing sanitation value chain for people in the slums of Kisumu, consisting of large scale collection, processing, valorization and commercialization of (human) waste. Revenue will be generated by payment for the use of (shared) toilet facilities, payment for emptying services for EcoSan toilets/pit latrines and marketing of the final product. Of course the ultimate goal is to provide a durable solution to the sanitation problems in Kisumu’s slums.
- Hygiene awareness programme
- Marketization and construction of EcoSan latrines
- Collection system for faeces and urine
- Achieving scale in processing of the raw material
- Commercialisation of the fertiliser product