Posted on 5 November 2012
The pilot project “Towards a Mekong Delta Portal” provides an integrated information portal of the Vietnamese Mekong Delta. The pilot project provides a web-based information portal and decision support system for flood control and water resource management. The system gives access to scattered information, analyses and monitoring data. Because of its online access and real-time modelling possibilities, the platform supports policy and acts as a decision support system during calamities.
The pilot project aims to improve water management in a pilot area in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta by providing a web-based information portal and decision support system for flood control and water resources management.
The ultimate goal of the consortium and the Vietnamese Government is to use the Mekong Information Portal for the full range of water-related aspects (i.e. sewer treatment, water quality, floods, droughts, operational measures and calamities), as is the case in the Netherlands.
- An information portal which unlocks scattered input data
- Flood Risk App and Drought Risk App
- Development Plan for a Mekong Delta Portal
- Training of potential users on how to use the information po
- Knowledge improvement on flood control and water resources m
With more extreme weather events such as typhoons, the Mekong Delta is more vulnerable to floods and droughts, affecting people’s livelihoods and reducing agricultural productivity. The past year’s floods and droughts have cost the government of Vietnam millions of dollars.
At present these threats are not adequately monitored and information on such threats is inconsistent and only scattered available (Asian Development Bank). As a result, no nationwide policy is made and mainly
local measures are taken. Vietnam is in need of data sharing systems and advanced models in the water sector, where space borne imagery and state of the art water-models support on predicting future behavior
of the water resources. Vietnam has selected the Mekong Delta as one of their four main priority areas and is investing in (international) knowledge and products to resolve this urgent problem (ToR).
This pilot project fulfills this need by developing an information portal on water management in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta. Because of its online access and real-time modeling possibilities, it is not only supporting water management policy, but can also be used as a valuable decision support system during flood disaster and calamity management.
- Modeling tool for flood risk modelling: 3Di
- Database linkage: FEWS
- Apps and the overall web-based information portal: Lizard (the same software as the Dutch Delta Portal)
- DMIAT (Drought Monitoring,Impact and Assesment Toolbox) to determine the drought risk
- Results of the Dam and Levee monitoring pilot project will be incorporated which are collected with IDS systems