Posted on 17 February 2014
This is one of the first projects in Vietnam which has introduced a comprehensive approach for full-scale and meaningful participation of relevant stakeholders at different levels (province, district, commune level) for developing a climate change adaptation strategy. With a combination of innovative participation methods and advanced decision support tools the pilot project demonstrated the added value of applying a participative planning process for the integration of different interests and spatial challenges into one single strategy. This is also unique since the participative planning process covers a complex array of problems (i.e. floods, salt water intrusion, water scarcity, droughts and water pollution) and multiple spatial challenges in one area.
To develop an integrated and community-based climate change adaptation strategy for the Lower Vam Co River Basin. Strategy development is based on a participative planning process at different levels (i.e. province, district, commune level), supported by innovative participation methods in combination with advanced decision support tools.
The key result of this pilot project is a consensus-based ranking of preferred strategies for climate change adaptation in the pilot area. Each strategy includes a package of adaptation measures for the selected strategies. The preferred strategy is based on the following:
- Assessment of present and future climatic impacts in the local context, leading towards an assessment of associated risks and vulnerabilities in the pilot area;
- Broad and horizontal participation of stakeholders at provincial, district, commune and village level;
- Participation resulted in a consensus-based portfolio of different adaptation measures and solutions;
- Evaluation of the impact of different adaptation measures on potential flood from the river and from the sea and the related risks and saltwater damages;
- Set of alternative strategy components developed by experts and stakeholders;
- Consensus-based ranking of preferred strategies for the pilot area.
The Climate Change Adaptation Strategy was formally accepted by Long An Provincial People’s Committee in January 2014.
With a tailor-made climate change adaptation strategy Long An Province complies with, and implement in its own unique way the policy targets of the National Strategy for Natural Disaster Prevention, Response and Mitigation to 2020, and also its commitment to the National Target Program to Respond to Climate Change (NTP-RCC). The preferred climate change adaptation strategy developed by this pilot project serves as an important input to the development of the Long An provincial action plan(s) under above policies.
- Extensive Stakeholder Analysis (as point of departure)
- Questionnaire interviews (local level)
- Multi-stakeholder dialogues (provincial and district level)
- Individual cognitive mapping
- Group model building
Decision support tools:
- Hydrological models based on SOBEK
- GIS-based damage module for pilot area
Multi-criteria analysis based on DEFINITE