IRC Wash urges everyone to act fast on sustainable development goal nr 6 for water
Tell everyone it's time to act now. This is the message by the Dutch non-governmental organisation IRC Wash on the eve of the UN Summit in New York on 25 to 27 September that is to adopt 17 sustainable development goals. Goal nr.6 on water aims at universal access to safe water and adequate sanitation by 2030.
On its website IRC urges everyone to act fast as it takes at least ten years to get water services fully working. That leaves only five years to get the real work started.
World's best shot for change
According to IRC it is the world's best shot for change. The new goals that will be adopted by the 193 world leaders in New York on 25 September 2015 can dramatically change world's future within 15 years.
"We can be the first generation where everyone has clean water. We can be the last generation to witness children dying of diarrhea or girls missing school because there is no toilet", the organisation states on its website.
IRC advocates that access to water and sanitation services should be a given, not a gift. As one of the world's leading WASH organisations it knows from experience that it takes at least 10 years to get a water and sanitation service fully working in a country.
Need to act now
"So we believe this leaves the sector with only 5 years to secure the initial financing, get everyone working together and get the systems in place to meet the goal 6 target", the message continues.
"It can be done. But we need to act now. With urgency. So tell everyone – we have 15 years to make history, 5 years to have a chance at success."
This news item was originally published on the website of IRC Wash.
Read also on this website
● Water education institute Unesco-IHE in action for sustainable development goal 6 on water, 21 September 2015
● Stockholm world water week: Let’s accelerate WASH, let’s do it differently, 27 August 2015
● VEI and Plan combine expertise to contribute to Sustainable Development Goal 6 on water, 31 March 2015
● WCDRR 2015: Disaster risk reduction makes a perfect blend with water management, 16 March 2015
● SDG 6 for water and sanitation: Some heavy lifting to do, 10 March 2015
● IRC and Simavi call for universal access to water also in schools, clinics and at work, 5 December 2014
● UN-consultation in The Hague goes for fully-fledged new global water development goal: access for all people, 13 December 2012
Global goals: take action
UN Summit on sustainable development 2015
The Hague, the Netherlands
+31 70 304 4000