The challenge for many cities and industries around the world is to find cost-effective, sustainable and simple solutions for municipal and industrial water that have a small footprint and meet the most stringent purification requirements.
Nereda offers that solution. The success of Nereda is its high water treatment capability in combination with significantly lower investment and operational costs, a very small physical footprint (up to a factor 4 smaller) and high energy savings. Currently there are more than 50 sewage treatment plants in operation or under construction on 5 continents.
Nereda is an innovative biological wastewater treatment technology, based on the unique characteristics of a special type of biomass or ‘activated sludge’. Nereda purifies water using the unique features of ‘aerobic granular biomass'. Contrary to conventional processes, the purifying bacteria concentrate naturally in compact granules, with superb settling properties. Furthermore a large variety of biological processes take place simultaneously in such granules. Nereda provides excellent water quality through compact and easy to operate installations, at low energy consumption. Nereda is cost-effective and is applied in new and upgrades of municipal and industrial wastewater treatment facilities.
Compared to activated sludge technologies, the biological treatment power of Nereda is much larger while saving 50% on energy-costs, delivering high quality effluent for low costs and requiring only a quarter of the area of conventional activated sludge installations.
The technology was invented by the Delft University of Technology, in the Netherlands, and developed in a unique public private-partnership between the University, the Dutch Foundation for Applied Water Research (STOWA), the Dutch Water Boards and Royal HaskoningDHV. After 20 years of research and development this innovative biological solution is now proving itself to be a leap forward in wastewater treatment technology.
- Cost-effective, both in capital expenditure and operational costs
- Plant footprint up to a factor 4 smaller
- Significantly lower energy consumption
- No/minimal waste generating chemicals
- Capable of delivering excellent effluent quality, removing N and P in one single process.
- Compact: no separate clarifiers and aerobic/anoxic/anaerobic compartments
- No odour
- Easy to operate, with little mechanical/electrical equipment
- Fitting designs for municipalities, industries and combined municipal-industrial plants
- Attractive solution for greenfield installations and for retrofitting or extending conventional activated sludge plants
- Proven hybrid applications as extensions to existing conventional plants